Skip Global Navigation to Main Content

All fiancé(e)s marrying a U.S. citizen must obtain a visa (category K-1) prior to arrival in the United States. Note: Travelers born in the United States and those with U.S. citizenship must enter and depart the United States with a U.S. passport and do not require a visa.

Personal interview: Visa applicants ages 14 through 79 must appear in person before a Consular Officer for an interview and to scan their fingerprints for biometric identification.

Applicants should request an interview at the Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their area of permanent residence. For example, those applying in Kuwait City should be Kuwaiti citizens or hold legal Kuwaiti residency and be able to demonstrate strong economic, familial and/or social ties to the country.

How to Apply:

Step 1: File a petition: Your U.S. fiancé(e) must first file a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (I-129F) (PDF 0 KB) along with the Biographic Information (G-325A) (PDF 568 KB) form in the United States with the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) field office serving the area of his/her permanent residence. Note: The American fiancé(e) cannot file this petition at an Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Step 2: Schedule an interview: Once the petition is approved, it will be processed through the National Visa Center before being sent to the Embassy. The Consular Section will contact you regarding interview procedures. Please inform us of any special accommodation for disability or handicap you may require. The petition is valid for four (4) months from the USCIS approval date.

Step 3: Application requirements:

Photograph: Take a digital photo meeting the requirements below (examples can be viewed here) and bring one (1) copy of it with you for your visa interview:

Application: Prepare the following application in its entirety and bring it with you to your interview at the Embassy:

After receiving the fiancé(e) visa, you must enter the United States through a U.S immigration port-of-entry. The Immigration Inspector will give you instructions on what to do when upon entering the United States. You must get married within 90 days of your entry into the United States.

After marriage, you must file an Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status (I-485) (PDF 190 KB) with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live in the United States. Your U.S. spouse must fill out an Affidavit of Support (I-864) (PDF 0 KB) with the USCIS for your application to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR).

For additional fiancé(e) visa information, please visit the Department of State website.

Click here to watch a short video about the application process.

After reviewing the frequently asked questions, contact us if you still have an inquiry regarding consular services.

Interview cancellation: We understand that circumstances may require you to cancel your interview, but kindly inform us before your appointment date.  Please contact us to cancel.

Information regarding the day of your interview